2017 Family Moto


6 And I was led by the Spirit, not knowingbeforehand the things which I should do.

7 Nevertheless I went forth...

1st Nephi Chapter 4:6-7

"Make sure they remember joy yesterday, experience joy today, and anticipate joy tomorrow."


Motherhood Mission Statement

To provide a loving environment that is centered around God and His commandments while effectively teaching my children to love, honor, and respect all Men no matter the race, creed, or background.

Click on Nolen's name to hear our amazing journey through autism.

Thursday, October 27, 2011

Need help...

Last night was the WORST night to date, with Nolen.  Let me back up a bit.  I started feeding Nolen solid food when he was 6 months old.  He slept through the night up to 12 hours before that time.  I started him on the usual rice and oatmeal.  That is when the gas started.  BAD GAS.  I am talking about gas that smells like an old man and is extremely painful. 
I took Nolen off the rice and oatmeal then put him on the Gerber baby food.  The gas continued but was not as bad.  Since then, I have tried many different foods and formula.  We opted to keep him on Soy formula because the milk based formula seemed to cause him more discomfort. 
Yesterday, I fed Nolen a handful of honey nut Cheerios, apple sauce, blueberry banana and apple's baby food, and for dinner he had some whole carrots peas corn and zucchini. 
Out of all of that, I have no clue what would cause such painful gas;  however, he was up ALL night crying and in pain. 
I am asking for any help, any help at all would be great.  If you have been through something like this yourself, or with your child, please, please, please help.  I am suspecting a gluten allergy but I don't even know where to begin to get it diagnosed let alone fix the problem.

Thanks from one tired Mom.

6 comments:

Rachel Overson said...

True gluten allergies are extremely rare. We nannied a baby that was severely allergic to everything (we had to have an epi-pen on hand at all times), and he really was allergic to EVERYTHING. I suspect if Nolen was truly allergic to gluten, he would have other problems than the gas. I would bet that your pediatrician would recommend an elimination diet to see what is bothering his stomach so much, and only introducing 1 food every 3 or 4 days. If you still think it's allergies, you can have him allergy tested, which they should be able to do at the pediatrician's office.

With Kara, we figured out that after she was almost a year old, too much milk actually made her really constipated and gassy. Nolen is almost 1, right? Maybe you could try cutting back on the formula (or watering it down) and see if that helps.

Kayla said...

Though I haven't had to deal with allergies in our family, I've seen how tough it has been for some of my friends. Happy hunting. I hope you can find the culprit soon.

Andrea said...

I know a lot of times if there are digestive problems, the pediatrician will tell you to use the BRAT diet (Bananas, Rice, Applesauce, and Toast) to see if that clears things up. I would try just rice cereal and applesauce and bananas. These are all very non-allergenic.

Tiffany said...

I know that UNMH is great for pediatrics. Maybe get a referral from your pediatrician to the gastroenterologist. My sister-in-law went to one because of problems with her son. What has your pediatrician said?

Heidi said...

I don't have any advice to give you, but am praying that you'll figure out what's wrong soon. Love you!

Paul and Aliisa said...

Based on what you fed him that day I think he might have had too much sugar. Try homemade baby food and stick to plain stuff like squash, peas, etc. that you puree yourself. I would say no honey nut cheerios or applesauce. Just try to no sugar thing and see if it gets better in a couple days. That's what I would do anyway.