2017 Family Moto


6 And I was led by the Spirit, not knowingbeforehand the things which I should do.

7 Nevertheless I went forth...

1st Nephi Chapter 4:6-7

"Make sure they remember joy yesterday, experience joy today, and anticipate joy tomorrow."


Motherhood Mission Statement

To provide a loving environment that is centered around God and His commandments while effectively teaching my children to love, honor, and respect all Men no matter the race, creed, or background.

Click on Nolen's name to hear our amazing journey through autism.

Friday, November 15, 2013

He's 3

Today, I am filled with mixed emotions.  Sometimes in our lives we are faced with trials we could never have comprehended.  I am so grateful for my sweet, little Nolen.  This past year of his life has been the most challenging for me.  I have simultaneously lost the boy I thought he was and gained a little man who is eager to learn and grow.  He comes with his own rule book.  He does everything is own way.  There is absolutely no wiggle room.  If he is upset, then we are all upset.  Nolen has found a way to be the very center of attention.  I joke, maybe that was his plan all along. 
 Nolen is mostly potty trained and has been in undies for the last few weeks.  I am so proud of him. He faces challenges with gusto.  He is eager to learn; alas, not eager for change.  I have to admit, I don't like change either. 
Nolen loves Thomas the train.  He loves to watch Thomas on TV and play with Thomas all day long.  Nolen also loves Lightening McQueen.  He loves to jump.  Today, we took him to ABQ Jump for his birthday and he had a blast.  We had cupcakes, which are his favorite, and opened presents as a family.  We spent the whole day as a family, and to tell the truth, I think that is what we needed at this moment in time.  We are family.
Nolen is almost reading.  He can identify every letter and the sound they make.  He can recite many books, word for word!  He can add and is starting to subtract.  He can grasp abstract concepts beyond what I believe he is capable.  Nolen is extremely intelligent. 
Nolen loves to play with Edward.  He also loves to fight with Edward.  They play all day together and miss each other when one is away.  Nolen is loving.  He loves to give kisses and will hug just about anyone. 
Nolen, FINALLY, sleeps through the night.  After all the long nights, this is something I will NEVER take for granted.  I am so relieved that he can sleep.  Nolen has still never eaten meat.  I am unsure if this will change.  He wont even touch it.  He is still the pickiest eater I have ever met.  He does love French fries. 
Today, I am celebrating.  Nolen can talk.  This time last year, he had stopped talking altogether.  Nolen can communicate.  Nolen can laugh.  He understands jokes.  Nolen is kind hearted.  He can learn.  I know how to teach him.  I know how to move forward.  The confusion I felt last year has been lifted, the tiniest bit.  I do not know what his future will be, (not that I ever did), but I do know there is hope. 
Happy 3rd Birthday, Nolen.  I love you. 
 





































 

3 comments:

Shanan, The Book Addict said...

Beautiful birthday tribute.

I had forgotten how close Danica and Nolen's birthdays are (she is Oct. 22). She also loves cupcakes.

Kayla said...

Happy Birthday Nolan. I am so happy you have seen so much change in him and that you are equiped to teach him even more.

Heidi said...

Reading already?! That is amazing, Jules!!! He is a smart kid, but I know you have a lot to do with those accomplishments of his...you are an AMAZING mother!!! :)