2017 Family Moto


6 And I was led by the Spirit, not knowingbeforehand the things which I should do.

7 Nevertheless I went forth...

1st Nephi Chapter 4:6-7

"Make sure they remember joy yesterday, experience joy today, and anticipate joy tomorrow."


Motherhood Mission Statement

To provide a loving environment that is centered around God and His commandments while effectively teaching my children to love, honor, and respect all Men no matter the race, creed, or background.

Click on Nolen's name to hear our amazing journey through autism.

Monday, July 21, 2014

I'm Santa!

While bathing this evening, Nolen swished around in the bubbles and put his face through the bubble path then said, "I'm Santa!"
I am unsure as to where he heard this idea (it's clearly not Christmas) and we haven't really ever talked about Santa at our house in the past, let alone during the month of July.  His vocabulary continues to amaze me daily!  He has changed so much in the last 3 months.  I almost have him completely potty trained!  He is talking, a lot!  He is understanding things and wants to break the rules more, just like a typical 3 year old!  I am so happy!  Slowly, but surely, Nolen is growing into a typically developing 3 year old.





Nolen's vitamin regime remains close to the same.  I have added a few things that may have lead to his burst in vocabulary.  I started giving him cysteine, an essential amino acid that helps detox the body by creating glutathione.  I ordered this from pure formulas.  So currently, Nolen takes a Fish oil complex, probiotics that contain almost all of the essential and non-essential amino acids, iron, a multi vitamin, vitamin C, Calcium, a stomach enzyme, taurine, and a vitamin b complex. 
He still receives 2 1/2 hours of ABA therapy 5 days a week and has been going to occupational therapy at Kid Power 2 times a week.  This summer I enrolled him in 2 classes a week of gymnastics and 2 rounds of city swim lessons that meet 4 days a week for 2 weeks each.  He also gets a private swim lesson once a week.
When is his down time?  He really doesn't have much.  He still takes a 2 hour nap daily and has been eating better and better.  Food will always be a struggle for Nolen.  He has yet to ever eat meat.  He has; however, put a chicken nugget in his mouth and licked a pepperoni.  One step at a time, I say. 
He has changed so much since my last update.  He talks in full, complete, well thought out sentences.  He still has major temper issues but we are working to over come that.  As I stated above, he is just ONE step away from pooping on the potty.  He is currently pooping with his pull-up on while sitting on the potty.  He amazes me each day with his ideas.  He wants to just talk a bed time rather than sing 10 songs.  He talks about all sorts of things.
Honestly, if you would have asked me a year and a half ago who I thought Nolen would be, I would have broken down in tears.  I NEVER imagined he would grow so fast in just a year and a half.  He is loved by all of his therapists and usually has a sweet demeanor.  I caution people to be aware and stay away from his bad side, because, let's face it, it's bad.
He has his very own primary teacher whom he adores!  He can now go to primary with very little coaxing and can make it the whole 2 hours!  Who is this kid? 
A lot of time and patience have been put into him this last year and a half  and I certainly haven't done it alone.  I am so grateful to my parents, Stephen's parents, therapists, primary teachers, coaches, and friends who have helped us get to this point. 
If you are in need of any ideas about treating autism, please email me.  I have taken a very natural approach to over coming some of the symptoms of autism. 
I love you, my sweet Nolen!
 

1 comment:

Heidi said...

Awww, I am SO happy to hear this!!! Your patience and diligence is paying off, Jules!! Go Nolen!!!! :)