2017 Family Moto


6 And I was led by the Spirit, not knowingbeforehand the things which I should do.

7 Nevertheless I went forth...

1st Nephi Chapter 4:6-7

"Make sure they remember joy yesterday, experience joy today, and anticipate joy tomorrow."


Motherhood Mission Statement

To provide a loving environment that is centered around God and His commandments while effectively teaching my children to love, honor, and respect all Men no matter the race, creed, or background.

Click on Nolen's name to hear our amazing journey through autism.

Thursday, September 18, 2014

The absolutely, terrible, horrible day

As it turns out, Edward does not like Kindergarten.  Not ONE bit.  I have been trying, over the last few weeks, to help him see the positive in going to kindergarten. 
I actually thought things were getting better at school.  Then, yesterday, his teacher pulled me aside and asked if I thought there was something going on with Edward.  Like, with his brain.  I paused.  "No." I have not thought for a moment that Edward could have any disability.  I have a child with a disability so I assume I have a pretty good idea of what it looks like.  Anyhow, that very same day, after I cried in the car about the possibility of both my children needing some extra support in school, his teacher told me he stuck his tongue out at her when he was asked to do something he didn't want to do. 
I do have Edward signed up to start Occupational Therapy in a few weeks.  He does have an issue with his hearing, but I believe that is all.  Now, if I could just get him to behave at school. 
He is a boy.  He loves to be silly.  He loves to say silly words.  He loves to joke around with his new friends.  He does not like to be bossed around.  I guess it is better he learns now than later.

When we arrived home from school, I made him pull weeds, write an apology letter, and bring his teacher a flower.
Let's see if he can have a few better days. 



Edward Barnes
Kindergarten 2014-2015
(As a side note, this picture is precisely why I do NOT pay for school pictures and just take my own.)

4 comments:

Lindsey and Brett said...

I thought I would check out the blog world since it's been a long time. I'm sorry that Edward is not enjoying kindergarten. But, can I just say for the record that I don't think the teacher should have asked you a question like that? I understand that kids need to respect their teachers and all of that, but sometimes kids are just silly and stick their tongue. Or maybe he just doesn't like his teacher. At any rate, I hope things get better for you and little Edward.

Paul and Aliisa said...

Ha ha! Kinda funny. I think how you handled that was quite perfect! Hope you don't mind if I steal the pulling weeds and writing a letter idea. Hope things turnaround soon for Edward!

Andrea Landaker said...

I think you handled that exactly right. Kindergarten is hard for a lot of kids! Those with strong personalities and a strong sense of self most of all.

Heidi said...

Hahaha, I'm with you on the picture thing!!