2017 Family Moto


6 And I was led by the Spirit, not knowingbeforehand the things which I should do.

7 Nevertheless I went forth...

1st Nephi Chapter 4:6-7

"Make sure they remember joy yesterday, experience joy today, and anticipate joy tomorrow."


Motherhood Mission Statement

To provide a loving environment that is centered around God and His commandments while effectively teaching my children to love, honor, and respect all Men no matter the race, creed, or background.

Click on Nolen's name to hear our amazing journey through autism.

Sunday, May 15, 2016

5.5


This year is shaping up to be an amazing year for Nolen.  He has truly started excelling at everything he does.  He recently had a HUGE language burst and now wants to talk all the time.  He gets very upset if Edward talks too long or tells a longer story.  Nolen tells me all about his day at school and what he does when we are apart.  It is simply adorable.  He loves to talk.  He is having far less tantrums now because he can really communicate his needs.  When he does have a melt down, I try (oh, boy do I try) to remain calm and talk him through it.  This is a big step for him.  Most 3 year old's can be talked down from a big disappointment.  I do feel like Nolen has suddenly matured.  

Nolen loves gymnastics.  He only asks to quit because Edward has stopped doing gymnastics.  He is actually really good at gymnastics.  He takes direction well and can follow multi step directions without getting confused or frustrated.  Again, this is a very big step for Nolen.  He was unable to follow multi step directions just a few years ago.  

Nolen loves soccer.  I asked the boys if they wanted to play soccer again and Nolen instantly said, "YES!"  He had a great time competing.  He loves to win.  (Don't we all?)  He played well with his friends and only had 1 major melt down per game.  I have a feeling those will start to disappear next season. 

Nolen also really enjoys swimming.  He starts swim team on June 6th but he has been practicing every day with Edward.  Nolen is teaching himself how to do the freestyle.  It is so amazing to watch his mind grow and change.  

Nolen loves learning about planets and all the dwarf planets.  He can currently name all the planets in order from closest to the sun to farthest.  I came up with a little phrase so that I could remember in case he asked me or got stuck.  (But, of course, he never does).  My Vet Eats Mice Just So U (k)now.
He thought that was pretty funny.  He didn't understand why I needed to make up a sentence to remember the order of the planets.  I told him my brain didn't work the same as his brain.  

Nolen still loves Minecraft and he also loves a new game called slither.io.  He enjoys watching youtube videos about both.  More often than not, he is watching planet videos, though.  He does watch one episode of Oscar occasionally, but we have pretty much phased out the television altogether.  So much quieter with out the TV on at our house.

Nolen is still very sensitive.  His feelings get hurt very easily and he shows it.  He still screams a lot when things don't go his way.  Dealing with daily disappointment is difficult, even for me.  I still really dislike loosing.  I hope I can show Nolen that even though things don't go as planned, he can still have a happy, successful life.  Isn't that what it's all about anyway?  Doing good and finding peace when life doesn't go the way you planned.  

Nolen wanted to make chocolate chip cookies for his half birthday today and he insisted on helping with every single step, including putting the cookies in the oven.  That really makes me nervous so I helped him.  His cookies turned out delicious!


Autism has taught me that I can not predict how life will go, no matter how much I plan.  I love to plan.  Nolen's specific autism has taught me to love more and find compassion in even the hardest scenarios.  He truly is kind, loving, and tender hearted.  He is a gift.  I am so blessed to be his mother and to watch him grow and learn.  

Autism has taught me that I can not fight this battle alone.  I have seen true generosity through out the community.  I never thought I would be in the position that needed what I need now.  I am so grateful for my friends and family who have helped us through this journey.