2026 Family Moto

Laugh more

Motherhood Mission Statement

To provide a loving environment that is centered around God and His commandments while effectively teaching my children to love, honor, and respect all Men no matter the race, creed, or background.

Monday, May 28, 2012

Choices that shape us...

I realize that not a lot of people are blogging any more and also that not a lot of people are reading blogs anymore.  Seems as though facebook, twitter, instagram, and such have really taken over.  I love to blog.  I love it! It is more personal and it keeps my memories and thoughts in one place so that someday my boys can look back and see what was happening in their lives at one certain moment. 

I think it is interesting how making small choices can really shape our lives.  Just the other day I needed to get gas.  I choose not to get gas late at night after a show because the last time I stopped I was quickly prompted to turn the jeep back on and drive home.

I was heading to the gym and needed to get gas on Saturday.  I was going to make a left and get gas somewhere close to home, but at the absolute last minute, I changed my mind.  I drove down the hill to Smith's; however, I didn't intend to get gas there because they usually wont allow you to get more than $50 bucks worth of gas. YET, I turned in to the Smith's circle K.  I had never noticed before, but I could use my Smith's rewards card.  So I typed in the number thinking I wasn't going to get a discount... and I did!  40 cents a gallon!  So instead of paying over $3.70, I paid $3.12 a gallon!  Crazy! 

As I was standing at the pump dreaming of all the money I was saving, a woman approached me.  I knew she was going to ask for money.  I couldn't think of a good reason not to give her the cash.  Her story seemed genuine.  She said she lived on the other side of town, had forgotten her purse and consequently had run out of gas.  She said I could even check her gas light if I wanted.  No, I didn't check her gas light.  I just handed her the $10 dollars cash I had in my wallet.  I watched her walk in side, pay, then fill up.

I do not believe it was a coincidence that I ended up at that exact gas station at that exact moment.  I was supposed to be there to help her.  I know that God has a way of helping those in need, if even a small thing like me saving $10 bucks in gas then giving it to someone else.

We make many choices every day.  Some choices we believe are small, but isn't it interesting how the small choices end up defining who we really are?  When I was younger, I wanted to be a mean, hard, cold person.  Mostly, because that is what the world expected of people.  I thought it was "cool".  LAME!  I can't believe I even thought that as a young adult.  All I want to do now is hug my fellow man and help them in any way that I am able.  I am tired of fighting the system.  I want to make the world a better place, so that my boys can grow up in a better world.  It really is time to shed our selfish layers and help each other. 

I stood in line at target a few days ago and put the stick to separate my stuff from the person's stuff behind me and the woman said, "Wow, that is the nicest thing someone has done for me all day." I was shocked and sad to know that something that small was the only nice thing that had happened to her.  I commented on how people are too wrapped up in their own moments to realize other people are having trouble.  She said, "I will pay it forward." 

I know that I am not perfect.  I yell, scream, drive crazy, and can be rude.  I just want to take a moment and say, "I am sorry" for my past behavior if it offended you.  I really am trying to be a better person.

Let's work together and hold doors open more, give a few dollars to the beggar on the side of the road, and love our neighbor even if their small dog barks for hours and hours and hours.

3 comments:

megs said...

This was beautiful. I love it, and agree that I hope we can do good and make a better world.

And isn't it weird how satisfying blogging is, even if it is jut for yourself? I like it more that a journal, because it is open and shared and people can see as they like, but ultimately it is me living and thinking out loud, in the open. It is fulfilling. Keep it up!

Andrea Landaker said...

Aww, great post. That is so true. :-)

Heidi said...

It does feel like people don't blog anymore, but I'm with you....I love it!!! I don't think I will ever give it up! Also, I totally agree with you about paying it forward and being nice to others. Unfortunately, it gets harder and harder to WANT to be nice to others because the way you as a person are often treated isn't very nice, which molds and shapes you. It is very sad. :( I loved this post...good read! :)