Saturday, Melanie Iverson and I did our second triathlon. I am counting this as my first triathlon since the first one was so poorly run. We drove down to Roswell, New Mexico Friday evening and checked in to our hotel. This triathlon we went just us girls. It was SO Fun! Earlier in the week, I hurt my leg. I am unsure if I have a pulled muscle or a hairline fracture in my ankle. Either way, I was so pumped to do this triathlon. The triathlon had been around for 34 years and was very well run.
After we checked in to our hotel, we went to eat at Applebee's. It was right by the hotel. Both of us laughed because we couldn't remember the last we had eaten at an Applebee's. We had semi good food, then wet back to the hotel and fell right to sleep.
It was bliss! No kids to put in bed! No brushing kids teeth. No reading books. Just me. So odd, but so relaxing.
Saturday morning, we woke up early and drove down to Dexter. We set up our transition area then put on our wet suits. I am so glad we bought wet suits. The water wasn't too cold, but the wet suits provided just enough buoyancy that we felt safe.
The swim started in waves, luckily. We did have to start with men (and that was not fun). We got in the water and did our bobs and a practice swim. I thought I was so ready. The gun went off and we started. I started great. My goggles were on great, my suit felt great, and I got out in front of a lot of people. Then things started to go wrong. My goggles fogged up and I couldn't see. I couldn't site the buoys. Then I slowed down. Then I couldn't breathe. Then lots of men were around me. Then I felt trapped. Then... then... then! I had to remind myself that the swim was only 10 minutes of the entire triathlon and it would be over soon. I rounded the buoy and just thought, "make it to land and be done with this." I kept being boxed in between four men who could not swim straight. Or maybe it was me. I couldn't swim straight. I had to do breast stroke just to find a way around the four men blocking me.
I finally reached land and stood up. I was exhausted. I took off the top of my wet suit that felt like it was chocking me then I took off my goggles and cap. I ran up to my bike, took off my wet suit, then I put on my bike gear. I was so excited to be out on the bike. The bike was a bit tougher than I thought it would be. I had swallowed a lot of air while swimming so I think this caused me to cramp a bit on the bike. It was uphill in a headwind for 6 miles. I had set my watch this time, so I knew how far I had to go before I could turn around and fly down the hill. I started to get really thirsty. I thought about grabbing the water bottle at the turn around but then changed my mind because I am not the best at handling my bike with one hand. HA!
I flew downhill back to the transition area and only thought about getting a drink of water. My legs were burning from climbing hills but I felt rested after going downhill for 6 miles. Once I got back into transition, I put on my running shoes and grabbed my water. I drank two drinks then headed out for the run.
By this time of day, it was hot. Like 90 degrees hot. I could feel the heat radiating from the concrete. I am so glad I grabbed my hat. All I wished for was chap stick. That was not a good sign. I knew I was feeling dehydrated. I got to the first aid station and grabbed a cup of water. I just splashed it on my lips and face then dropped the cup. I made it to a mile and a half then started to think I really wasn't going to make it. I needed chap stick and a huge drink of water. I saw the mile two aid station and grabbed another glass of water and splashed in on my lips again. I usually never grab water on a run, but I knew I wasn't going to make it with sticky chapped lips. I finally saw the finish line! I was passing people left and right, but then I slowed down because my leg really started hurting. I let two women pass me! ARG! Truthfully, I had nothing left. I just wanted to make it across the finish line with out barfing.
Once I crossed the finish line, I grabbed a huge bottle of water then headed back to the race to find Melanie. I knew she wasn't too far behind me because I saw her in transition. I think she was going through some of the same emotions I was going through. She has been the best training partner. She has made huge sacrifices to train with me. She has paid babysitters, woke up early, and probably skipped other important activities. I am so lucky she signed up to do this with me. Training with someone for a specific race is so fun.
The next triathlon I do, I will have to do it without her. I am so sad she is moving. My kids are so sad they are moving. They will truly be missed.
After the race, Melanie and I sat on the grass for a few minutes and rested. My stomach was pretty upset so I couldn't even think about eating. We jumped in the shower then packed up our gear so we could make it back to Albuquerque to watch our kids compete in a swim meet.
Edward and Nolen did great in the swim meet. They mostly liked playing with their friends while they waited for their race. After the swim meet, Melanie and I met up for an adult night at the Ninja Gym.
Such a great evening! When we finished up at the Ninja gym we went to get a much deserved dessert then I headed home. As soon as I pulled in my sweet cousin arrived with her fun five kids. We had a crazy night playing with them outside until 11 PM.
All in all, a great weekend!
Saturday morning, we woke up early and drove down to Dexter. We set up our transition area then put on our wet suits. I am so glad we bought wet suits. The water wasn't too cold, but the wet suits provided just enough buoyancy that we felt safe.
The swim started in waves, luckily. We did have to start with men (and that was not fun). We got in the water and did our bobs and a practice swim. I thought I was so ready. The gun went off and we started. I started great. My goggles were on great, my suit felt great, and I got out in front of a lot of people. Then things started to go wrong. My goggles fogged up and I couldn't see. I couldn't site the buoys. Then I slowed down. Then I couldn't breathe. Then lots of men were around me. Then I felt trapped. Then... then... then! I had to remind myself that the swim was only 10 minutes of the entire triathlon and it would be over soon. I rounded the buoy and just thought, "make it to land and be done with this." I kept being boxed in between four men who could not swim straight. Or maybe it was me. I couldn't swim straight. I had to do breast stroke just to find a way around the four men blocking me.
I finally reached land and stood up. I was exhausted. I took off the top of my wet suit that felt like it was chocking me then I took off my goggles and cap. I ran up to my bike, took off my wet suit, then I put on my bike gear. I was so excited to be out on the bike. The bike was a bit tougher than I thought it would be. I had swallowed a lot of air while swimming so I think this caused me to cramp a bit on the bike. It was uphill in a headwind for 6 miles. I had set my watch this time, so I knew how far I had to go before I could turn around and fly down the hill. I started to get really thirsty. I thought about grabbing the water bottle at the turn around but then changed my mind because I am not the best at handling my bike with one hand. HA!
I flew downhill back to the transition area and only thought about getting a drink of water. My legs were burning from climbing hills but I felt rested after going downhill for 6 miles. Once I got back into transition, I put on my running shoes and grabbed my water. I drank two drinks then headed out for the run.
By this time of day, it was hot. Like 90 degrees hot. I could feel the heat radiating from the concrete. I am so glad I grabbed my hat. All I wished for was chap stick. That was not a good sign. I knew I was feeling dehydrated. I got to the first aid station and grabbed a cup of water. I just splashed it on my lips and face then dropped the cup. I made it to a mile and a half then started to think I really wasn't going to make it. I needed chap stick and a huge drink of water. I saw the mile two aid station and grabbed another glass of water and splashed in on my lips again. I usually never grab water on a run, but I knew I wasn't going to make it with sticky chapped lips. I finally saw the finish line! I was passing people left and right, but then I slowed down because my leg really started hurting. I let two women pass me! ARG! Truthfully, I had nothing left. I just wanted to make it across the finish line with out barfing.
Once I crossed the finish line, I grabbed a huge bottle of water then headed back to the race to find Melanie. I knew she wasn't too far behind me because I saw her in transition. I think she was going through some of the same emotions I was going through. She has been the best training partner. She has made huge sacrifices to train with me. She has paid babysitters, woke up early, and probably skipped other important activities. I am so lucky she signed up to do this with me. Training with someone for a specific race is so fun.
The next triathlon I do, I will have to do it without her. I am so sad she is moving. My kids are so sad they are moving. They will truly be missed.
After the race, Melanie and I sat on the grass for a few minutes and rested. My stomach was pretty upset so I couldn't even think about eating. We jumped in the shower then packed up our gear so we could make it back to Albuquerque to watch our kids compete in a swim meet.
Edward and Nolen did great in the swim meet. They mostly liked playing with their friends while they waited for their race. After the swim meet, Melanie and I met up for an adult night at the Ninja Gym.
Such a great evening! When we finished up at the Ninja gym we went to get a much deserved dessert then I headed home. As soon as I pulled in my sweet cousin arrived with her fun five kids. We had a crazy night playing with them outside until 11 PM.
All in all, a great weekend!


















1 comment:
The busiest Saturday of our lives! Love it!!
Post a Comment