2026 Family Moto

Laugh more

Motherhood Mission Statement

To provide a loving environment that is centered around God and His commandments while effectively teaching my children to love, honor, and respect all Men no matter the race, creed, or background.

Monday, February 4, 2013

Trial and Error

Back in November, we found out that Nolen has a sensory processing issue.  Since then, I have read a lot, visited a few doctors, and had therapists come to our home to help Nolen.  Here are some of the things we have tried that may be beneficial to your family.

Speech Therapy and Occupational Therapy:  I think these two things have have the most impact on Nolen.  His therapists come to our home once a week and spend an hour with him.  I then use all the technique's they taught through-out the week. 

For speech we point out objects and say their names.  I do not hand Nolen his bottle unless he says or signs; "I want baba, please".  (He does this almost every time now.)  Speech was one of my biggest worries because Nolen WAS NOT communicating.  He was barely making sounds except for crying which was occasional.  Nolen's speech therapist also put together a folder with pictures that I took of objects and rooms around the house.  One picture is of me and he still will not say "mama"! I get the folder out once a day and point to things and say, "What's this?"  Sometimes I get a response and sometimes I don't.

Occupational therapy is a huge factor in Nolen's development.  Because he has problems processing things he needs something to help him feel connected to our world.  For Nolen deep tissue touch and massage are best.  One thing that Nolen loves is to be smashed by the bean bag with a person on top. YES, that is 130 pounds of me on top of him.  He giggles!  He also bangs his head a lot and if I put a pillow up against the wall so that his head can smash into the wall while I smash him, he is happiest.  This is the hardest for me because I spend most of my day touching Nolen or taking him to the park to swing and slide (both very helpful).  Here is where I would like to insert another me to the equation so that I could take a break. At night I give him a full body massage before bed and he sleeps with a heavy blanket.  The blanket is filled with beans or beads.  This helps him feel weighted down.  One thing I have yet to try is the weighted vest.  I have a feeling it will work wonders for Nolen.

Supplemental Therapy include a vitamin B3 shot three times a week.  Yes, a shot. Nolen actually tolerates it pretty well.  He knows it is going to hurt and that it is over pretty fast.  This shot has to be given directly in to the fat.  If the B3 gets into the blood stream then it is just pulled out as waste.  If the B3 goes in to the fat then it is evenly distributed and, therefore, helpful.  We have been giving Nolen these shots since mid December. 

Gluten-free has to be the HARDEST thing ever!  Nolen does not eat.  He can not stand the sight of food let alone the smell.  He will sit down at the table for about 2 minutes and then leave.  Since changing his diet back in December I have learned some things about gluten free.  It is mostly made up of corn and salt.  It is better to eat veggies and meat expect that Nolen wont even look at that food let alone touch it.  Gluten-free foods are more readily available now; however, they are processed with little to no nutritional value.  Nolen lives off Chex, applesauce. and some animal pasta's I bought off Amazon.com

Iron is another tough one.  Iron has a strong taste and smell.  We started by giving Nolen a liquid Iron supplement but it was so nasty that I searched to find a children's vitamin with Iron in it.  Flintstones is one such supplement but it is lacking in all the other vitamins so it is still a poor choice.

Vitamin D is another supplement we found out that Nolen was lacking.  We picked up  liquid vitamin D at a natuoropathic pharmacy for $20.  I actually think this might really be helping Nolen.  Or maybe it is the combination of all the things we are doing.

We have been putting Cilantro Oil on the bottoms of Nolen's feet twice a day in the hopes that it will help detoxify his body from any heavy metals he may not be able to rid on his own.  This has helped!

I have been reading "What's eating your child?" By Kelly Dorfman and have learned so much.  I can't wait to report on trying some of her ideas to improve our over all health. I highly recommend the book. 

Nolen is doing better.  Much better.  I know that the supplements have been a huge help to his development.  Nolen's official diagnosis is this coming Thursday morning.  I am anxious, to stay the least, to hear what the Doctors have to say.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Heidi said...

I am amazed at everything that you have had to change for Nolen. You are such a wonderful and strong person, Julie! Nolen is so lucky to have a mommy like you :)

Unknown said...

Your changes sound incredibly tough and physically and mentally exhausting! Wow! You are SUPER! And I want you to know that.

Andrea Landaker said...

Sounds tough - thank you for sharing, I bet you will help others in a similar situation. :-)

That might explain why Onyx likes to play dogpile so much with Quartz and Sapphire . . .

megan said...

The next time you guys come to AZ you will have to go to a gluten free store that we have. I've never been there so I can't promise much, but it may be interesting to see what they have