2017 Family Moto


6 And I was led by the Spirit, not knowingbeforehand the things which I should do.

7 Nevertheless I went forth...

1st Nephi Chapter 4:6-7

"Make sure they remember joy yesterday, experience joy today, and anticipate joy tomorrow."


Motherhood Mission Statement

To provide a loving environment that is centered around God and His commandments while effectively teaching my children to love, honor, and respect all Men no matter the race, creed, or background.

Click on Nolen's name to hear our amazing journey through autism.

Monday, June 13, 2016

So I stopped eating sugar....

I would first like to say that marriage is difficult at times.  Stephen and I have gone through many trials together and we are still holding strong.  Marriage takes a certain amount of understanding, compassion, and forgiveness.  I find myself fighting for things that are non-essential and I am trying to change that today.
One non-essential fight led us to a discussion about the Word of Wisdom.  In short, it says that we should not have strong drinks like alcohol, we should not have hot drinks like coffee or tea, and we should not use tobacco.  It talks a lot about grains and eating them in their time of season while also eating most red meat sparingly.
While we were discussing the word of wisdom, Stephen said to me that I eat too much sugar and that is just as bad as having coffee and alcohol.  Actually, he said it was just as bad as doing drugs.  I sort of laughed and blew him off, although, truthfully I have read many peer reviewed studies about the effects of sugar on the human body.  I know it's bad.  I know that it harms our body and we shouldn't have it, but it is so easy to justify sugar and chocolate.
So to prove to Stephen that I am not addicted to sugar, I stopped eating all processed sugar.  I will say that it was hard.  VERY HARD!  It took days to get the hang of not eating sugar.  I even slipped up and had to text Stephen when I ate sugar.
The first week I had major headaches and I thought about sugar every moment of the day.  I have a candy bar a friend gave me in the cupboard and I wanted to rip into it and eat every last bite!  I had a girls night with friends and I ordered a piece of pie that first week.  It was delicious.  The second week, I shot a wedding and I had a piece of wedding cake.  The third week I shot a wedding and did not have a piece of wedding cake.
I started to see a difference in my attitude.  My emotions are easier to handle.  I can think clearer.  I sleep deeper.  One side effect I wasn't prepared for was bloating.  I am no longer bloated.  I have not lost a single pound but my pants fit better.  My stomach feels better.  I feel better.
I run three miles three times a week and for the first time in my life, my feet were not heavy.  My heart is stronger.  I ran at 7.0 on the treadmill for an entire mile!!  I usually run at 5.3!  I feel AMAZING!
Food tastes more exquisite.  I ate a strawberry and it was the most delicious thing I have ever eaten.  Cutting out refined, processed sugar has been extremely difficult.  I was more addicted to it than I imagined.  I was allowing myself to eat sugar all the time with out really seeing the consequences.  I know that heart disease is the number one killer among women. I just assumed I was eating well enough while exercising six times a week would be enough to ward of the disease.  It's not.

"No amount of exercise can fix a bad diet."  Unknown

I was living by the opposite of this quote.  I thought I could just exercise my problems away.  I feel so much better after cutting out the sugar.  I am not sure how long I can keep this up.  I do not have an end date for my no more sugar.  I am sure I will have some sugar occasionally, but for now, I feel amazing.  Now the real trick is getting my kids off sugar.

1 comment:

Kelli said...

I have been trying to do this too. It is soo hard! I think one reason that I haven't tried super hard is that I am afraid of the withdrawals. I think I'll try again.