Growing up, I was never considered a tomboy. I loved barbies, tea parties, and dress up. I always thought I would have a home full of girls. I loved creating story lines with complicated endings and rehearsing dialogues with my over dramatic friends. I never thought for a moment I would be a "boymom". Not once.
While I was pregnant with Edward and found out I was having a boy, I was excited. It seemed right to be having a boy first. That's nature, right? Then I found out I was having a boy when Nolen came along. I knew he would be my last child and I have to say, I was a bit sad that I wasn't having a girl, but the thought of raising a daughter actually scared me. Girls are a whole different territory with their own difficulties and challenges. I was grateful to know that I was having another boy.
I understand boys.
I understand boys more than I ever thought I would. I get how the operate.
They move fast. They change quickly.
They love hard. They cry hard.
They can be stand offish. They need space.
They pee on the toilet seat. They pee all over the bathroom wall.
They jump off bed. They jump off anything, really.
They smell. They really smell.
They hate to brush their teeth. They dislike baths.
Then when they get in the bathtub they never want to get out!
They make really big messes.
They get a sudden burst of energy and it must be released right at that very moment or they might just BLOW UP!
They need constant reminding. They need someone with a big heart to just love the crap out of them.
I am that person.
I am a boymom.
They need someone who can love with out ever needing to be loved back. I wonder if this is why I grew up with such a high self worth. I do not NEED to be needed. I don't need a million hugs and kisses to survive.
These boys show love in a different way. They speak my love language. I am a mother of boys.
These two sweet boys need a mom who can plug her nose and still hug them and kiss every single freckle on their tiny little noses.
I am that mom.
I am a mother of boys.
I am the only female in this house. I am so grateful to be living this challenge. It is my quest! I love being a mother of boys.
I can keep up with these two wild boys of mine. I can meet every single challenge they throw my way. I see their wiggly body's and I keep pace. I can match their stubborn modes and challenge them to beat me in the quiet game. I can even beat them in the screaming game.
I know I was destined to be a mother of boys. I am fine doing many things all by myself. Like getting a pedicure or shopping. I actually love to shop alone. I can don't need constant companionship in this world. Good thing because any time I mention leaving the house, everyone disappears!
I love being a mother of boys. I wouldn't have it any other way. It is interesting watching teachers, leaders, and friends interact with boys. Our society has changed the way we work with little boys. It is sad. My heart it sad for my two boys as I watch female teachers belittle and manipulate them. Gone are the days when we celebrated being pregnant with a boy. Gone are the days when we held high expectations for men to help take care of the family. Gone are the days when men set outstanding examples to little boys. Good men are hard to find.
This is my quest. This is my journey. To raise two good men. Two men who honor their responsibilities. Two men who want to be fathers and dote on their wives.
This is no easy quest. This quest has required me to change my selfish desires and be home with my children every single day. This quest has required me to enter THEIR world, not drag them into mine. This quest has made me a better woman. I don't mind sacrificing for my boys. They are my everything.
This quest has required me to get my hands dirty and play like a boy. In doing so, I have thrived. I have grown. I have changed. I have learned to love being a mother of boys.
Happy Sunday!
Sunday, September 24, 2017
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment