I really don't have words.
My first college roommate, my "true roommate" has Lymphoma.
Chelsea Anderson was my first roommate at Ricks College the summer of 1999. I have known her for nearly 22 years. She is hilarious. She is adventurous. She is a free spirit. She is incredibly intelligent. She is a mover and a wanderer. She is motivated. She is a goal crusher. She is one of my very best friends. She means the world to me. I would do anything for her and vise versa. She is amazing.
A few weeks ago, Chel called me and asked about my cervical cancer. I told her things worked out for the very best 9 years ago. She mentioned she had some test and was waiting for results. She got the results and started treatment right away. Her whole life changed in a day. She is in and out of the hospital for the next six months. She is having the most intense treatment possible. Her cancer is strong and growing fast.
I flew to see her over the weekend. I wish I lived closer. We actually had fun, given the intense circumstances. Nurses come and go from her hospital room every 15-30 minutes with out giving her much rest. She is never alone. She doesn't have any peace and quiet. She can't sleep with out major interruptions. She is in intense pain.
I am unsure what I can do from so far away. I have been thinking and wracking my brain with ways to make her more comfortable while she endures this hellish ordeal. I just don't know. I just don't know. I am praying daily that her pain will be tolerable and that her cancer will shrink.
Oh how I wish we had a cure.








No comments:
Post a Comment