My summer of triathlons is coming to a close. I competed in three triathlons, one of which I don't really count. HA! This has been such a fun summer training and getting better at a sport I was scared to try last year.
I am hooked for life.
My boys competed in their second triathlon last night. This was a much better run event than their first triathlon. There were 80 kids competing and my sweet boys came in first and second! WHAT!?
All that running at cross country has really paid off because now they know what it feels like to run fast. Their triathlon was backward. They ran, biked, then swam to the finish line. They had such a lead on most of the kids their age because they could really run fast.
My amazing parents drove over from Arizona to cheer us all on. I am so lucky! They helped get the boys ready for their race and then woke up early to watch my race this morning.
I woke up this morning at 5:30 AM. I wanted to take my time getting ready. I forgot how long it takes to braid my hair in double dutch braids. HA! TWENTY MINUTES! I braided my hair then headed down stairs to eat my breakfast. I made my favorite breakfast; a tone it up waffle with raspberries and cocoa nibs. I did all my normal morning routines before I woke up my mom and headed out to the race. It was a perfect start to the day.
We arrived at the race start line around 7 AM.
I quickly set my transition area then went to the bathroom ONE LAST TIME. This is essential. I always feel like I need to pee right before a race. I should have gone one more time but started gabbing with a few people I knew. That was a bad idea.
The race started promptly at 8 AM. We all lined up in a single file line to enter the pool in 10 second increments. I put my 400 meter swim at 8:00 minutes. This was another critical error. In practice, on a slow day, it takes me 7:31. I should have seeded myself much faster. I jumped in the pool and caught up to the guy in front of me right away. He didn't flip turn. He stopped at the wall EVERY TIME and blocked the wall so I couldn't flip turn. He hogged the entire lane so I couldn't swim past him. I tried going around him twice to no avail. He did pass three women and I passed right behind him, but seriously, this guy would not let me pass him! I swam on his feet the entire time. I even stopped a few times just to let him get ahead of m for a bit. That was really annoying.
My swim time was 7:43. UGH! I know I could have been a full minute faster had this guy not been in front of me.
I ran to the transition area and didn't even towel off. I put on my socks, shoes, sunglasses, and helmet then grabbed my bike and ran for the exit. It was a minute and twenty-eight seconds total. YAY!
I felt so good on the bike! I had ridden the course the week before so I knew what to expect. This was a VERY smart choice. I knew there were three very large hills I needed to conquer. I knew what gears to use and when to push and when to hold back. I am so glad I practiced this ride. I held back a bit until I got on the last and final hill. Then I pushed it, HARD! I passed EVERYONE that had previously passed me. I passed 20 people on that hill. It felt great. I was breathing so hard but I did it. I knew after that hill I only had to ride two more miles back to the transition area and I was set.
I made it back in to transition, racked my bike, took off my helmet, and grabbed my hat. I put on my tennis shoes and doubled knotted my laces. This took me forever! I could not get one of my laces double knotted. I almost gave up but then thought better of it and tried again. I'm glad I did. I would not have wanted to stop and tie my shoes on the run.
I left for the run feeling great! It is all uphill the first mile and a half. I just kept putting one foot in front of the other and pushing myself up the hill. I had never run this course before so I had no idea what I was getting in to. I thought I was near the top of the hill when the course turned off the road and went up another sandy hill. That was incredible. I passed so many people. They were walking up the hill as I ran. I made it to the top and sailed down the other side. I ran to the bottom of the hill and then hit another hill. It was the last half mile so I knew I could push myself up the hill. I used the tactics I learned in cougar track club: Just pass the person in front of you. So I did. Then I saw another person. Then I passed them. Then I passed another and then another. I did not let anyone pass me (except a 14 year old boy running a 6 minute mile pace). I even sprinted to the finish line. My time was 28:24 for the 5k. A bit slower than two weekends ago but considering I had a few hills to conquer, I think I did great.
Stephen, Edward, Nolen, my mom, and my dad were all waiting for me at the finish line. My mom had come with me and been at the race from the start. I told her to text Stephen when I started the run so they could be there at the finish. AND they made it! It was awesome to finish the race and know that I have more gas in the tank.
I had a feeling I did well, but I wasn't sure how well. We waited around for the results and low and behold, they called my name for THIRD PLACE in my age group. It was such a great feeling!
I can not wait to do another race. I want to keep getting better. My total time was 1:25.24!


































No comments:
Post a Comment